Saturday, June 5, 2010

Spearing Hatch

Fished today with Rick H. We started off our day catching fluke while
we waited for the tide. On the top of the tide I found what I was
looking for. Spearing. The spearing spawn continues in the back. We
had bluefish and stripers crashing spearing along the sod banks. Blues
and bass occasionally would accidentally flip themselves on the grass
and then back into the water. We first caught bluefish on poppers.
The wind made casting difficult so we got out of the boat and made our
casts from shore. I switched to soft plastics when the surface bite
quit. The bite then continued as the plastics matched the hatch
perfectly. We were spin fishing but the conditions were a flyrodder's
dream. We had boiling fish right at our feet. We ended up with several
blues and we missed three bass. The blues were just more aggressive.
I wished I had my video camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment