Thursday, May 13, 2010

Topwater Blitz

Fished solo tonight in an effort to scout around for the weekend.
After a slow start I came across some birds working along the sod
bank. I knew I was in for a treat. My first cast got slammed before I
even closed the bail on the spinning reel by a bluefish that crushed
my popper. Every cast after that one was either rewarded by a hooked
fish or multiple bites. I had nonstop action for over an hour and a
half...all on poppers! Without moving. Great visual bites. I had
three separate occasions where I hooked two blues on the same popper,
one on each hook. I switched over to the flyrod and lost count of the
fish caught. The blues were mostly 2-5 pounds but I had one that was
an honest 7 pounds. Nice sized for the bay. I also caught three
stripers including my first of the year on a popper and two on the
flyrod. The action continued after sunset and only subsided when it
was completely dark.

1 comment:

  1. Jersey has the most beautiful bass! Looks like you had a blast.

    ReplyDelete